5 Ways to Maintain a Balanced Lifestyle at Home
Shifting from spending most of your time out of the house to being primarily in-doors is not always an easy change. Suddenly, the worlds of “home” and “work” have collided and it can be difficult to figure out a balance between the two.
We get it. Our team has also experienced working from home, and there are a few tricks we employ to ensure we’re prioritizing our mental health and emotional wellbeing.
1. Establish a Routine
The first thing to go when you are spending more time at home is often your routine. However, whatever your morning regimen was when you were preparing to leave the house does not necessarily have to change. Keeping as much normality in your schedule as possible is an easy way to adjust to being at home. For instance, we like to take time to get ready in the morning before settling down to tackle the day’s to-do list. Completing a morning grooming routine and getting dressed (more on that in the next tip) puts you in a positive frame of mind.
Spend some time thinking about your daily routines. How do you like to start your morning? When do you usually eat lunch, or opt for a workout? Let us know in the comments below!
2. Get Dressed Up Anyway
At Adesso, we believe when you look good, you feel good. Getting dressed — even when we don’t have to leave the house — uplifts our spirits and helps us feel confident. We know, spending a day rocking your pajamas sounds ideal. But, the comfort of your pjs triggers your brain to relax. While there will definitely be days when you need to unplug and rest, working will be much more difficult when your brain has already checked-out.
Getting dressed keeps your mind feeling clear, fresh and ready for anything. From our experience, putting on clean, professional clothes helps draw the line between when you need to hustle and when you are done for the day.
3. Tame the Mane
Just like how when you are dressed to impress makes you feel more confident, so does maintaining personal hygiene. Keep your hair trimmed and clean with products that benefit your hair and scalp. We love to use the Nvenn: Wash Moisturizing Shampoo and the Nvenn Polish: Daily Repairing Conditioner, both of which are sulphate free and infused with organic sea kelp extract, vitamins and essential oils to create soft, shiny and healthy hair.
While you’re taking care of your scalp, be sure to upkeep your facial hair as well. Make your skin feel bright and invigorated after shaving with Peregrine Supply Co.’s Cooling Mint Aftershave Tonic, or condition your beard with Manday Grooming’s Beard Sauce — which is rich in nutrients and smells like an alluring mix of cognac, cigars, cedarwood and coffee.
Lastly, we want to take a moment to discuss nail hygiene. Did you know that a lot of nasty bacteria can hide under your nails? These bacteria can lead to irritation, infection and ingrown nails (which literally nobody wants). Not only that, but clean, trimmed and well-shaped nails are like the perfect handshake — illustrating your confidence and charisma.
4. Have Designated Work and Chill Spaces
Trust us, it will be easier to switch between “work” and “relax” mode by having areas of your space designated to each need. For instance, keep work to your home office. If you don’t have a home office, we’ve found it helpful to setup at your kitchen table or island.
While propping open your laptop in bed might seem like a comfortable alternative to sitting in a chair, blurring the lines of working where you sleep can take a toll on your mental health. Not only will you find your bedroom no longer feels as relaxing, but even answering emails in bed can decrease your sleep quality. Looking at a bright screen reduces the amount of melatonin you need to fall asleep, making it more challenging to get a good-night’s-rest and causing you to be more tired the next day.
5. Create a Home Spa Experience
We’re firm believers in self-care, and we know that you don’t need to visit a spa to treat yo’ self. Why not create that spa experience at home? To feel revitalized and refreshed, consider completing one (or all!) of these easy, home-friendly treatments:
- Steam Your Skin: One of our favourite ways to open and cleanse our pores, a quick steam using ingredients like green tea or essential oils promotes circulation, hydrates, soothes congestion and preps the skin for products.
- Apply a Mask: What does your face need? Does it look dry? Do you have some congestion in your pores? Or perhaps you want to brighten your skin? Masks are excellent at treating targeted skincare needs. Consider an enzyme peel to exfoliate the skin, or applying a sheet mask for extra hydration.
- Try a Foot or Hand Scrub: Exfoliating your body is just as important as exfoliating your face, but often we neglect our hands and feet. Even a simple sugar and olive oil scrub can feel like magic when applied to your hard-working extremities — especially if your job demands using your hands or standing all day.
- Use a Hot Oil Beard Treatment: This treatment goes the distance for your beard’s health. By heating up your oil in hot water and applying generously to your beard before rinsing out after a few minutes, you open your pores and hair follicles for deeper hydration. Consider using Peregrine Supply Co.’s Marin Beard Oil or Park Ranger Bear Oil.
How do you maintain a work-life balance at home? Let us know in the comments below!